Livelihoods/Agriculture Temporary Assignment - Burkina Faso
|Entreprise||UN High Commissioner for Refugees||Lieu||Ouagadougou or Niamey (Burkina Faso)|
|Type de contrat||CDD|
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve forced displacement problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country.
Promoting social and economic self-reliance of refugees, returnees and internally displaced persons is a key component of UNHCR’s work, both in displacement situations, and in areas of return and reintegration. UNHCR promotes self-reliance by implementing projects that directly protect and enhance the livelihoods of displaced populations and host communities. Such projects include small business development, entrepreneurship, microfinance, skills and vocational training, employment services, food security including; agricultural production, livestock, and/or fisheries.
Following the break out of war in Northern Mali in the beginning of last year (2012), the operations in Burkina Faso and Niger have received large number of refugees. In order to support the refugees and local communities to identify and implement potential livelihood strategies which could increase their resilience to different hazards and disasters, each of the two operations require the expertise of a Livelihoods Officer to conduct assessment, strategic planning and monitoring for effective execution of sustainable livelihood programmes.
The Livelihoods Officer will work under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Officer. He/she will be based in Ouagadougou or Niamey, and will be required to travel regularly to the field. His/her counterparts will mainly be Government, local NGOs and implementing partners, while collaborating with FAO, ILO, UNDP, donors, and other experts.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment:
- Provide technical guidance to the development of UNHCR’s and implementing partners’ livelihoods projects.
- Provide, mobilize and co-ordinate support to livelihoods activities in the development and implementation of innovative livelihoods strategies and programmes for the refugees living in camps or rural areas, and to the host population.
- Establishing a livelihoods working group involving national government, FAO, ILO, UNDP, NGOs, donors, other experts and operational and implementing partners.
- Guide and monitor livelihoods activities/programmes for refugees in line with UNHCR’s policies, mainstreaming gender, age and diversity.
- Identify opportunities and solutions to challenges identified in the assessment, including access to legal employment, vocational training, agriculture and microfinance, and advise on means to develop the local livelihood resources and social infrastructures.
Qualification and Experience of Consultant (degree required, years of experience, field of expertise, language required):
• Advanced University degree (Master Level) in Rural Development (agronomy, agro-zoo technician, veterinary, agro-economy and natural resource management), development studies (economics), or other related fields;
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in programmes related to self-reliance and livelihoods development, agriculture/livestock, rapid and participatory rural appraisal ; urban and rural small business development and or microfinance; gender analysis, risks and vulnerability assessment, community development and participation;
• Demonstrated professional exposure to poverty-related issues in developing countries, especially rural poverty and gender analysis.
• Proven experience in planning, implementing, and monitoring livelihoods programmes (and managing multiple projects);
• Experience in working effectively with UN organisations, international and national NGOs , and with government authorities at national level;
• Knowledge about latest development in the livelihoods sector, and in-depth knowledge of at least two technical sub-sectors in livelihoods (e.g. microfinance, agriculture and livestock, vocational training and technical education, entrepreneurship building, cash assistance, community contracting, employment services, natural resource management);
• Strong communication and individual organizational skills;
• Language: Fluency in French and knowledge of English as working language. Knowledge of another UN language will be an asset.
• Skills: excellent networking skills with private and public sector institutions; and
• Computer skills: excellent computer skills including excel, word and power point;
• Women are encouraged to apply.
Please send full Curriculum Vitae including nationality and references, and a cover letter to: email@example.com